Feet are quite an underrated part of the body for most people. We take for granted all of those thousands of steps we walk every day, all of the stairs our feet take us up, and even when we have time to relax and put our feet up, we rarely think about taking care of them.
You’ve only got one pair, so make the most of them! Here’s some tips for at-home care, and also why it is important to look after your feet by having regular pedicures.
- Moisterise! During a pedicure, your feet will be soaked in warm water and massaged with oils and lotions to lock in the moisture. Moisterised feet are less susceptible to blisters, cracks, ridged nails and even lifting of the toenails. They will also look a lot nicer too! You should continue moisterising your feet at home too as it is a good habit to get into.
- Regularly clipping your toenails and thoroughly cleansing the feet will reduce the risk of ingrown toenails. It also reduces the risk of bad odour and fungal infections.
- Look for infections! Having pedicures regularly means your beauty therapist can detect any early signs of fungal infection, verrucas, warts, corns or bunions. Early detection increases chance of prevention!
- Exfoliate! During a pedicure, your feet will be exfoliated, removing any dead skin cells which lead to the cracking of the feet and corns. It will encourage new cells to grow which will leave you with smoother, healthier feet.
- Relax! Pedicures usually involve a foot and calf massage, which is not only the most enjoyable part of the experience but this also stimulates and increases the circulation, which is proven to reduce pain and heat throughout the body.
A good pedicure should be thoroughly relaxing. Many of my clients report back that they feel relieved of their stresses and tensions!
Feet tend to get neglected more than any other part of your body, so start taking care of them now. Book in for a pedicure and ensure you keep this up at least once a month, and try to moisterise and exfoliate and keep your nails trim in between. They’ll not only look and feel nicer, but they hold a lot of tension which can be relieved, making you feel a lot better! Also, now is the best time of year to start looking after your feet, ensuring that once the strappy sandals come out, your feet look their best!